Sunday, April 02, 2006

What Maia Wants To Be When She Grows Up

Maia and I were pottering in the spare room, I was changing the bedsheets and Maia was wiping down the big wardrobe with a baby wipe (as you do). She was having a really good time, demanding to be picked up and held up high so she could get the dusty bits higher up, tutting at how dirty the wipe was getting. (Come to think of it, maybe it wasn't dirt...baby wipes do have extraordinary cleaning/surface stripping abilities. Maybe it was actually stripping varnish. Note to self, get polish wipes upstairs).

Anyway, Maia was having a ball. She turned to me and said

"Mummy, when I am big I can do lots of cleaning. I want to be a cleaner when I grow up."

I said

"Wow, OK." After a beat, I said "You could be a Doctor if you wanted to, you know..."

"No. I don't want to be a Doctor. I want to be a cleaner."

Later on that day we were in the car, singing songs. She said

"When I get big I can sing all the time. I want to be a singer."

Ah ha, I thought. Much better.

"...A singer and a cleaner.."

No comments: