Friday, April 29, 2005

Your Cat Was Called What?

Yesterday, as I was helping Maia into her coat, Mrs Hunt popped her head around the door and, with a rather puzzled expression, asked me what our cats were called. I listed Beckett, Scotty, Harley and, erm...the late Manky Cat.

'Ah ha!' she said. 'I thought that is what she said, but then I wondered if I had misheard!'

The class had been talking about their pets that day, and while the names Beckett, Scotty and Harley were accepted without question, Maia managed to confuse everyone with the revelation that our last cat was called Manky Cat.

Mildy embarrassed, I explained. 'He really was called Manky Cat. He was called something else when he was little, but that was pretty soon superseded when he got a skin condition and went a bit, well, manky.' Mrs Hunt retreated into the classroom, laughing.

I just hope they moved on quickly enough so that Maia didn't get a chance to regale the other tots with the tale of Manky Cat Now Lives in a Box in The Garden.

No comments: