Friday, April 29, 2005

Mission Impeccable

I was away at the beginning of the month visiting Kiki (Dr. Kris' new and tres cool moniker) in DC and New York. While I was there, I decided, after two and a half years of looking a mess, I was going to make it my mission to leave the house every day Looking Presentable. Maia leaves every day in clean clothes, and mostly wears things that match. (Apart from socks - that is a challenge that even Hercules would shirk from.)

So, Mission Impeccable meant:

clean clothes - no food, or goo, or muck, or ooze,
a little bit of make-up,
and if possible, wearing something other than jeans ALL THE TIME.

Unfortunately, as soon as I got back, Maia got sick, so I spent a week pinned to the sofa in my jammies. Since she is now up and well (despite her pleas of 'But I have a little bit of chicken pox' when she doesn't want to do something) I have been sticking to Looking Presentable. I have been wearing jewelry. I have been matching accessories. I have even been wearing skirts and heels. All in all, pretty good.

That is, until the day before yesterday. I had to get her out early, and in the rush, managed to leave the house in track suit bottoms, the top I had slept in and without brushing my teeth. Of course, we got there at exactly the same time as all the other people who I have been steadily, secretly vetting as to who will be my Friends Who Are Also Parents. I wanted shout 'You should have seen me yesterday - I looked gorgeous!' but didn't think that would do my friendship prospects any good at all. Will have to try harder.

No comments: