Sunday, August 14, 2005

I am a Domestic Goddess. Or Queen, maybe. Lady-In-Waiting? Yes.... I Am A Domestic Lady-In-Waiting.

I was going to Bake a Birthday Cake. Then I realised that this was a dreadful idea, that had potential to go very wrong. Betty Crocker trumps Nigella, so I Assembled a Birthday Cake instead.

What I did do, all by myself, was make my own icing. Hence my status as Domestic Lady-In-Waiting.

I wanted some pink on the cake, so I figured, rather than use a nasty E numbered concoction, I would mix icing and cooked, strained raspberries to get the pink.

It worked, after a fashion. I thought - by virtue of the fact that it took time, effort and a lot of raspberries, it would look pretty and natural and full of goodness. It was very tasty, but man, it was pinker than Barbie Pink. It looked as fake as anything that could possibly come out of a bottle. It was Pink.

I quickly sacked off the idea of decorating the cake with blueberries and raspberries and opted for colourful sprinkles instead. In the shape of a giant 3.

The kids loved it, and they got a little bit of fruit while eating birthday cake - and that has to count for something...

No comments: