Saturday, January 13, 2007

Humble.... Moi?

Maia is not lacking for self-confidence. She is not shy, and she certainly is not retiring.

We had a couple of examples of this last week.

On the way back from school last Tuesday with new possible-pal Arwen (and new possible-pal por moi, Maria), Maia was chatting away, telling us all about her room, her house and what she had done at school that day. She paused for a beat, turned round to Maria and with a nod of the head and not a dash of humility said

"You know, I am a Funny Kid"

Later in the week, The Mother's Union brought the kids round for tea. George and Sue arrived first. Maia had dolled herself up in a fabulously clashing combination of purple tights, yellow summer dress, all the jewels she could find and her pink Clicky-Clacky heels. She sashayed into the kitchen and said to us

"You know, when Isabel arrives, she is going to see me and I am TOO pretty, she won't believe it!"

I love it. I love the fact that she has such a wildly positive and happy image of herself. I don't think I could bear it if she thought she was naughty/ugly/a pain.

Not sure how much is due to her nature or is somehow inherent, and how much is due to the fact that I tell her how wonderful she is every day.

Well, I figure if I don't, other people might forget to tell her...although I imagine Maia would probably be the first to remind them.

No comments: