Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Bare Bones

Maia is learning about the "skelington" at Big School. We have a little chat on our walk home everyday about what she has learnt, what she ate, who she played with - that sort of thing. Yesterday, she said to me

"Mummy, if I peeled all my skin off, and all that was left was bones, what would you do?"

"Hmmm," I said (choosing not to tell her that I would weep forever because people don't survive as just bones...) "Probably help you put your skin back on again, like a pair of toasty warm pajamas."

"Mummy!" she said, shocked to the core by my ignorance, "No! You must call a Ambliance and tell them to come and help me! Then the Doctors will make me better. Now what number do you call? Nine-nine-nine. That's right."

She then fixed me with a glare that left me in no doubt that she thought she was probably not safe in my care. Especially if any skin-peeling was going to occur.

I assured her that I would remember to absolutely call the ambliance in such a situation. Slightly mollified, she told me about her lunch. Lasagne. Without bones.

No comments: