Sunday, July 09, 2006

Road-Weary Maia

There are workmen digging up the bottom of our road, blocking it off entirely. We have access from the top, but to get to it from my normal route to the house, we have to drive past the bottom of the road, along a bit and up the street that runs parallel. Yesterday, Maia sighed heavily when we drove past the road.

"The road is all closed! They are not fixing it." She seemed quite put out.

I explained that they wouldn't be fix the road until they had finished getting underneath it, to fix the power lines. Once they had done that, then they would fix the road.

"Oh" she said.

Later on, eating a snack at the table, she turned to me, and in a quiet voice said

"When is the world going to be fixed?"

I almost burst into tears. What on Earth has led to a 3 year old thinking that the world is broken?

"What do you mean, darling? The world isn't broken" I said, gently.

"No, Mummy, the road. When is the road going to be fixed?"

OOOH! The road! That's better. That one, I can handle.

No comments: