Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A Lesson in Retaliation Without Retribution

Maia lost her sticker yesterday. She had earned it by singing really well in the music lesson, but was stripped of it by Mrs Hunt when she...erm... kicked George.

Now, I didn't pick Maia up yesterday, Noonah did. And she rushed in, scooped her up and rushed out again - leaving scant time for Mrs Hunt to deliver the Telling Off that I am sure was due.

The full story of the incident emerged this morning. According to Maia, George kicked her...so she kicked back.

Herein lies the problem.

Some form of retaliation is appropriate. I do not want to make her into a child that blithely accepts being kicked. Or the kind of kid that runs to a teacher everytime someone does something to her. However, I need to teach her to be a bit sneakier.

I think we will work on getting her to say in a very loud voice

"NO! Kicking/Poking with Cutlery/Snatching is NOT NICE. Do not do that to me again, please."

That way we can stop her being kicked, alert any adults (*coughMrsHuntcough*) that someone has kicked her, and best of all, pass the tag of Tyke Troublemaker onto to someone else.

Ha!

No comments: