Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Children's Christmas Service...December 24th

Abbots Langley Children's Christmas Service has a real live donkey. I don't think they let it in the church, so it sits outside munching apples and bemusedly accepting congratulations for carrying Baby Jesus to Bethlehem from pious 4 year olds.

We, though agnostic/atheist, decided that the Mass would be good theatre and would let us introduce Maia to the joy (?) of carol singing. She seemed to enjoy the experience, although did pipe up and volunteer the information that the Baby Jesus was really Molly's sister Bethany. At the end, there was a candle-lit procession past the Nativity scene and out into the church yard to congratulate the donkey and shake hands with the vicar.

We ended up directly behind one of the Three Kings, and I couldn't help but feel slightly guilty. I never ever go to church, and I wonder if being behind a Three King in such a high calender event is a bit of a coveted position. Don't know why - it is actually quite nerveracking, what with all the billowing robes and candles and kids. Feels a bit like the 'before' film in a 999 programme. Maia soon distracted me from such thoughts by singing Happy Birthday and blowing out my candle.

I am sure she came away with some fairly warped ideas about the Christmas Story, but it was fun none-the-less.


No comments: